VALLEY LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
TO: ALL CERTIFIED/CLASSIFIED STAFF AND ADMINISTRATION
FROM: Scott Rolfe, Superintendent
DATE: August 25, 2021
RE: School Bus Driver
POSTING DATE: August 25, 2021
POSTING PERIOD: August 25, 2021, through August 31, 2021, or until the position is filled
RESUME SUBMISSION: Central Office
1821 State Route 728
Lucasville, Ohio 45648
POSITION: Bus Driver
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- -High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- -Appropriate State of Ohio certification/license
- -Pass physical examination and alcohol/drug screening test
- -Any other qualifications as provided by the Superintendent and/or Board of Education
- -Two-way radio
- -Various hand equipment
- -Various school vehicles
- -VLSD will pay for CDL Bus training and physical (the candidate is responsible for a background check, TB test, and permit)
- -Approved candidates must be available to drive for VLSD for at least two years.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Complete established pre-trip inspection of the vehicle
- Conduct at least 3 front and read door emergency evacuation drills per year
- Discharge students only at authorized stops
- Ensure the safety of students
- Exercise responsible leadership when on out-of-district school trips
- Follow prescribed and assigned bus routes and schedules
- Interact in a positive manner with staff, students and parents
- Keep the assigned vehicle neat and clean (interior and exterior)
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and awareness of changes in driving laws as they regard transporting school children
- Maintain any records and other information that may be required
- Maintain pupil control and report any violations to the proper authorities as prescribed
- Maintain respect at all times for confidential information, e.g., student medications
- Make contacts with the public with tact and diplomacy
- Notify the transportation office in case of illness daily, or of a continued illness so as to permit time to secure a substitute driver
- Obey all traffic laws
- Observe all mandatory safety regulations for school buses
- Prepare reports, route maps, schedules, pupil lists, and accident reports as required by the State of Ohio, Ohio Department of Education, and the Valley Local Board of Education
- Promote good public relations by personal appearance, attitude, and conversation
- Report all accidents and complete required reports
- Report any hazardous conditions along the existing route to the transportation manager
- Anticipates and replenishes consumable custodial supplies to avoid work schedule interruptions.
- Maintains the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Takes precautions to ensure safety. Watches for conduct/situations that may indicate a problem.
- Anticipates and prepares for fire, health, and safety inspections. Monitors safety equipment (e.g., electrical, lighting, alarm systems, etc.) as directed. Maintains clear routes for emergency egress.
- Deals with unexpected situations (e.g., accidents, equipment failure, etc.) Follows approved safety procedures to clean up injuries involving chemicals, solvents, blood, body fluids, and/or body tissues.
- Participates in occupational safety and health training programs as directed.
- All other duties assigned by supervisors (Board of Education, Superintendent, Building Principal)
- Report any mechanical problems to the bus mechanic
- See to the safe and efficient transport of students to and from school or school-related events
- Share in the responsibility for driving a school-sponsored event and/or approved field trip
- Transport only authorized students
- Warm up the engine gradually in cold weather
- Attend bus driver meetings and be available in the event of an emergency dismissal
- Attend meetings and in-services as required
- Conduct all other related duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Any other reasonable and related duties as assigned by the Superintendent
- Ability to Communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to listen for mechanical defects, view engine compartment for defects, and distinguish the color of lights
- Ability to read and understand verbal and written instructions, written warnings, and labels
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Basic first-aid
- Effective, active listening skills
- Knowledge of relevant Ohio laws and regulations
- Knowledge of traffic rules
- Organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to make safe driving decisions in congested traffic while maintaining order for up to 70 children on the bus
- Balancing, bending, climbing, crouching, kneeling, reaching, and/or standing.
- Exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes.
- Exposure to air-borne particulates, chemical irritants, combustible materials, electrical hazards, equipment vibrations, noises, and odors. Exposures to wet and/or slippery surfaces.
- Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases.
- Interactions with aggressive, disruptive, and/or unruly individuals.
- Lifting, carrying and moving work-related supplies/equipment.
- Climbing ladders
- -The Board of Education reserves the right to determine whether or not to fill the vacancy.
- -Interviews may be conducted by the administration.
- -The following items are required for consideration
- Detailed resume
- 3 References
- BCI/FBI Background Check
- TB test
Valley Local School District provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Valley Local School District complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.